Femstosecond Laser-Assisted Cataract Surgery provides a new level of cataract surgery procedure that potentially presents a significant increase in the precision and efficacy of the surgery process as observed by eye experts. With the release of Alcon LenSx Laser as the the first femtosecond laser device cleared for use in cataract surgery in the United States, specific procedures such as corneal incisions, lens fragmentation, anterior capsulotomies, and creation of LASIK flaps now have more flexibility in terms of laser utilization and function.
Alcon’s LenSx Laser System claims to offer improved functionality in laser surgery technology providing a smarter, better, and faster performance procedure-wise. Here are a few highlights that this advanced laser system offers:
A Smarter Cataract Surgery Procedure with LenSx
- Device-wise, Alcon LenSx Laser System showcases a wide range of customizable features and capabilities that enable flexibility and multiple functionality vital to various cataract surgery procedures and methods.
- Its advanced features and design offer improved patient comfort during procedure.
- Corneal compression is minimized.
- Fixated cornea becomes easier to establish which leads to more precise incisions during surgery.
Refractive Cataract Surgery with LenSx
- The laser system’s image-guided control makes for enhanced planning and implementation.
- Almost every case results to free-floating capsulotomies plus pristine capsulotomy edges.
- It is observed to provide lower IOP increase during procedure.
- It requires less laser energy and provides accurate results even when lens are tilted.
Faster Cataract Surgery Procedures with LenSx
- LenSx Laser System is designed with state-of-the-art technology with features that are simple, customizable, and easy to use.
- It has an easy docking process that allows quick customization and easy manageability.
- Its advanced features present a significant reduction in laser time required and an overall reduction in procedure time.
Further approval of Alcon LenSx Laser System function in the creation of LASIK flaps also increases its usability. With the flexibility that this laser system offers in cataract surgery and various specific procedures related to eye care and surgery, the need for a logistically sound deployment plan must be put in place in order to maximize utilization.
1 My Alcon, Resources for Eye Care and Health Care Professionals, https:// www . my alcon .com / products / surgical / lensx-laser /
2 The LenSx Laser Causes a Flap, An Approval for the Creation of LASIK Flaps Increased the Functionality of Alcon’s Femtosecond Laser, Review of Ophthalmology Online, Walter Bethke, November 8, 2012,
http:// www . revophth .com / content / d / refractive_surgery / i / 2189 / c / 3776
3 Cataract Surgery with Femtosecond Lasers, Journal List, Saudi J Ophthalmol, PMC, US National Library of Medicine National Institute of Health, NCBI Resources, Jorge L Alio, April 30, 2011,
http:// www . ncbi .nlm. nih. gov / pmc / articles / PMC 3 7 2 9 5 1 0 /